Thursday, January 18, 2007

Days 8, 9, 10, 11: closet prep and painting

We now have shiny new white paint on the walls of almost all our closets.

We repainted the insides of the 5 bedroom closets (one bedroom has 2 closets) as well as the linen closet and kitchen closet.

BEFORE (craft room closet shown):


AFTER (linen closet shown):

Not terribly impressive, you might think. But, in person the closets look so much better than when we started. Especially the linen closet, office closet, and guest bedroom closet, which all started out blue.

The linen closet was tough to paint -- only 22 3/4 x 21 1/2 inches, so I was pretty cramped for all 3 coats -- 1 primer, 2 paint. Thom is too big, so I did this one myself.

Overall, things came our pretty well, although not quite as neat as I had hoped. We taped off where the walls met the floors, but there was a little paint leakage in some areas. Nothing terrible, and it will be at the back of the closets anyways. Other places look pretty good though, including where we painted around this tie rack.

When we paint the bedroom walls, we will definitely continue with the painter's tape, and will make sure it is well adhered to avoid excess paint! This is where my Type-A personality is a bonus ...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Nice job! I have to agree with you on the type A thing... this is why I paint and Jason doesn't ;) He's also not allowed to spackle or strip wall-paper. There's plenty of other stuff he can do!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've painted rooms in every place I've ever lived (and don't even ask me how many that is ... more than 15), and I've always used the painters tape and it's always bled through at the edges.

It happened again with my bathroom, so I've been really frustrated. But I just watched a DVD about painting that suggested -not- using the tape and simply getting really good at cutting in around every edge. So I've been practicing on my downstairs bathroom and it's absolutely true. You wanna borrow the DVD? Or since you'll need to buy expensive paint brushes, I got a 3 pack of Purdy brushes that had the mini-DVD in the packaging. Let me know ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home